Sunday, January 10, 2021

Preface To Jean's Show, Again: Déjà Vu

According to Wikipedia, "Déjà vu is the feeling that one has lived through the present situation before. This is a French phrase that translates literally as 'already seen.' Although some interpret déjà vu in a paranormal context, mainstream scientific approaches reject the explanation of déjà vu as 'precognition' or 'prophecy.'"

Do you remember this scene in the Matrix?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XfEuxRDYiyc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(You can just watch the first minute.)

That's not how déjà vu works.  You don't see something & then think you've seen it again suddenly.  You get the feeling, which is almost certainly generated randomly by your brain, that you've experienced what you just experienced before.  It actually happened to me tonight, at the end of a movie I was watching.  I not only felt that I had seen the end credits before, it almost convinced me I had scene the entire movie before.  Which I couldn't have - it was just released this year.

It sometimes baffles people that your brain can replicate the feeling of having experienced something before.  But it happens in situations outside déjà vu.  Have you ever had a dream you were in a place that is utterly familiar to you but when you wake you realize you've never been there before?  It's not because there's some mystical connection - "I was there in a past life" - it's because your brain, in the dream, gives you the memory of feeling like you've been in the place before.  This happens to me all the time.  & it helps me experience other things in the dream - I don't spend time in the dream wondering where the hell I am because the dream makes me think I am in a place I've been before.  That's a feeling, like déjà vu.

But today was the opposite of déjà vu.  I spent the day in something like a mild panic because I would normally be working on my show today.  But the Dickenbock Report is done, & so is Self Help Radio.  I did spend some time today working on upcoming shows, but mostly I just felt a little lost.  I became a little addlepated at the evening's end, which made me think it might not be Sunday.  Is it Sunday?  It feels like Saturday.

One thing I hope is I don't experience déjà vu Tuesday morning, with my show turning off fifteen minutes in.  It will perhaps make me think that in fact I'm cursed.  That 2021 cursed me!

No comments: