Monday, January 04, 2021

Whither Jean's Show?

(Not that kind of jean!  Image from here.)

Tonight's show is all about people (mainly women) named Jean.  I thought about perhaps including the male Jean, since it's the same word, but mostly I found songs about women named Jean.  & Jeannie.  & Jeanette.  & I think a Janine or two.  If there's a Jean song about a dude, it's probably by accident, or because I didn't notice.

Plus I'll talk to some Jeans!  I was able to find three Jeans of assorted types - a Jean-Marie, a Jeannette, & a Bonnie Jeanne - & I'll ask them about their names, where they got them, what they think of them.  & since there are lots of film stars named Jean, our resident cinephile Chuck will talk about four of them.  That's in addition to all the songs!  & who knows what other Jean might show up?

Why do a show about the name Jean?  Wouldya believe I once wanted to be named Jean?  Because of Jean Grey of the X-Men?  You wouldn't believe that?  Well, good.  It's not true.  I had a hard enough time with the word "dick" in my last name; an ambiguously-gendered name would have been rougher still.  No, the reason I'm doing it is because I noticed lots of songs with the name Jean.  It's really as simple as that.  I thought, "I should do a show."  & now I will.

Tonight (or Tuesday morning if you prefer) on 90.7 fm KBOO, online at kboo.fm, from midnight to 3am.  You may think, does Jean really deserve three hours?  She does!  She really does.

No comments: