Sunday, May 16, 2021

Preface To Stones: Too Many Stones


The picture above is from this article which has, as its thesis statement, "people are stacking too many stones."  Apparently this is happening in national parks to some detriment, but I didn't read the article.  I've never stacked stones in my life.  I'm not sure what the pleasure might be in stacking stones.  But it is possible a plague of some kind?

The picture spoke to me however because the reason for doing this show, which I will get to tomorrow, didn't prepare me for the sheer number of songs about stones.  I have been listening to stone songs since last Tuesday & I don't feel I actually got a chance to listen to all of them.  At some point decisions have to be made to start work on the show.  So some stone songs got short shrift.

The thing is, I try to avoid this.  I try to avoid too-general songs because I simply don't have the time to listen to all the songs.  & I don't always just want to play songs I'm overly familiar with - I want the show to be about discovery for me - or re-discovery, often, of musicians or albums I liked enough to purchase but haven't spent the proper amount of time with.  That becomes very hard to do when there are over four hundred songs you've tagged that you want to listen to for possible inclusion in the show.

This week, I am being accused of stone stacking.  Stacking stone songs end to end all over the place.  It's a stony musical mess.  I am trying to clean it up, though, which is more than I can say for the stone-stackers at National Parks.  Stop stacking stones!

No comments: