Saturday, May 22, 2021

Had Thought

When I was out & about in my old stomping grounds in Garland today, I took some pictures of places I used to live as they look now.  I figure I will share them in weeks to come.  Bonus!  Because my sister found my actual birth certificate, I know the house my family was living in when I was born.  I will share that too.

Basically I've spent the weekend driving.  So I wrote this on Facebook just now:

On my return to the metroplex I find myself constantly lost, constantly doubting the GPS, frustrated that any muscle memory I had about places is gone, gone, gone. & I can't believe I forgot that everyone in DFW drives like they're in that Harlan Ellison story "Along The Scenic Route," just competing in a mad race in which there can't really be any winners. Just turning your blinker on to signal a lane change triggers sudden acceleration from the car in the lane you need to move into. By contrast, the speediest car in Portland will slow down when they see your blinker. It's no wonder I saw three different accidents today. I really just didn't remember how much time I spent on the (truly quite dangerous) road here. I'm so glad that's not the case any longer.

Also, the fact that so many people aren't wearing masks in stores & what-not is shit-yourself terrifying.

No comments: