Friday, October 08, 2021

RIP Jazz Butcher

(image from Discogs)

It was sad to hear earlier this week of the death of Pat Fish, the jangle pop mastermind behind the Jazz Butcher records.  He was a very witty man who wrote insanely catchy tunes & I lamented on Facebook that, since he wasn't more conventionally successful, he'd probably be ignored by the sort of press who would write about musicians who at least had a hit or two.  Outside of the UK indie charts, I don't imagine the Jazz Butcher made much of a dent in the regular musical world.

My first memory, weirdly enough, of the Jazz Butcher, involved three people younger than I was who were also more in the know about (what wasn't then called) indie music.  They were named Carla, Stephanie, & Clark.  Stephanie was in my grade in high school, a tall, thin brunette of unquestionable beauty who was kind to me despite me being a dumb, fat, know-it-all dork.  Carla was maybe her best friend, not as pretty as Stephanie, but certainly striking; she could easily have been the lead in a John Hughes film.  Clark was cute I guess - I never know these things about boys - he seemed even dorkier than I was but with obviously more confidence.  Clark was younger than Stephanie but they were dating.  Oh yeah & Clark was a musician.

Stephanie was in Austin when I was in college, but a friend of mine had a crush on her, & reacted very badly whenever I talked about spending time with her, so I kind of backed off.  This friend was of course an asshole & I regret being considerate of his feelings, but anyway, I never really became friends with Stephanie but I'm sure Stephanie is fine.  I lost track of Carla & Clark but I remember a conversation when one of the two - Stephanie or Clark - was making fun of Carla & one of them said, "She likes the Jazz Butcher."

Indeed I sussed it out that it was a musician/band but didn't discover much until I found, used, a couple years later, the Creation Records Doin' It For The Kids compilation.  It was one of those rare compilations in which I loved every damn song on it, & the Jazz Butcher song in particular made me search out the band's work.  I found the album above, & play it till it skipped.

As is usually the case, as I sat to write this, I found that someone else has said what I meant to say better than I could.  On the Jazz Butcher web site, the Memoriam page, I found this article from a fan which contains much of what I wanted to say here.  He does mention a live show him in New York, & I am sad I never got a chance to see him.  But maybe I just didn't try hard enough.

Pat Fish was just 64 & that's too young to die.  It just is.  I wish I had played him more on the radio, I wish I had had a chance to see him, I wish I had spent more money on his records.  But I am so glad I heard his music & I am so glad he made it.  & I hope at some point you get to hear it too.

No comments: