Sunday, October 03, 2021

Preface To Sunlight: Nineteen Years

(Image from here.)

October 9, 2002, was a Wednesday.  This is a story I've told before, on this blog, too, but I'll tell it again.  I finally got a show on KOOP, after two years of volunteering.  It had been a long wait, & although I got to sub several shows, I missed doing a regular show.  I hadn't had a regular radio show since 1999.

The first slot was Fridays at 9am.  I loved it - I could come do the show, I could go to work, & I stayed late at work some days anyway.  I cleared it with my boss.  I was excited, I did a couple of shows at that slot (sadly, during a Pledge Drive, & I got zero bucks), but I felt like it was a warm-up - I hadn't even thought of a name yet!

But then I got a phone call from a KOOP programmer named Danny.  He had been given a slot, on a Wednesday afternoon, but to do the show, he was taking vacation time from work.  Apparently he too could go in late on Fridays, but he couldn't get off Wednesday afternoons.  I wasn't sure I could, but I thought I'd check - the boss didn't mind me leaving in the middle of the day to do the show if I came back & stayed late.  It was nice I could do that.

There was a Programming Committee meeting when this arrangement was decided & I attended & it turned out there was a stray hour before or after my show.  I guess it was my suggestion - I'm not sure - it was decided the hour before my show would be what we called a "pilot show" for people who had just been trained to have an hour to show us what sort of show they would do.  Ever the helpful person, I agreed to oversee it, although I was to coordinate with another programmer for Spanish-language shows.  This caused some KOOP people to refer to the hour that I helped oversee as the "Anglo" Pilot Show, which I'm sure made programmers who weren't white - we had Asian- & African-Americans come to do shows as well - feel a bit weird.  But that was KOOP.

My first show - on that Wednesday, October 9, 2002 - I didn't have time schedule someone for the 2-3pm hour, the Pilot Show.  So I did it.  I played songs of greeting, I called it "the hello show."  It was technically Self Help Radio's first theme - although of course, it wasn't Self Help Radio.  Yeah, I had come up with that name by now.

Self Help Radio aired at 3pm & the first official theme was "war."  A year after 9/11/2001, the Republicans in power were looking for ways to invade Iraq, & had already begun to invent reasons to do so.  War was on my mind like everyone else.  I think I have a recording of the show, on cassette, but it hasn't been digitized, so I haven't listened to it - probably ever.

One thing I did do was save a CD of all the songs I played & I bought a little CD booklet in which to save my shows.  I really didn't expect I'd be doing the show for long.  I don't know why I thought that, but I felt I'd do something else at some point.  Maybe I wish I'd saved records of my shows at KVRX.  I don't know.  I certainly didn't think I'd be doing Self Help Radio nineteen years later!  & two thousand miles away!

No comments: