Saturday, November 27, 2021

On The Way To 183


Sometime in 2014 I started taking digital pictures with a digital camera that my wife had.  We'd used it before, on vacations or special occasions, like animals' birthdays or whatever, but since we went on dog walks daily, & there were things that amused me, I started taking pictures & then sharing them, first on Facebook, then on Tumblr.  I don't do Instagram, I can't imagine having one more social media platform to worry about.  & yes, I know Instagram is all about the pictures & Tumblr is played out.  It turns out I'm a creature of habit.

The pictures I take show what a creature of habit I am.  This image is from Fort Worth, taken on this day three years ago.  At the time, I didn't know it would be my last fall in Texas.  It was a Tuesday, which was probably the day I did the shopping.  It was also the day I did my show on KNON, so I was on the road a lot that day.  But that was living in Texas.  In a car two hours a day.  No matter what.

Anyway, I took this picture thinking it might be interesting (it's not, not in the way I thought it might be) but it's only really interesting to me.  It's the way I drove home from Costco.  I went that way because the way I had done previously became a clusterfuck thanks to road maintenance.  Also a constant with living in Texas.  Everyone's on the road so the roads have to be widened, repaired, etc.

The picture is looking west so I'm driving north, to a frontage road, which will take me to the road I was avoiding near the Costco.  The highways are part of the reason it was a clusterfuck.  Many Texas drivers wait until the last possible moment to get into the lane that's the onramp to the highway.  & many Texas drivers drive huge-ass SUVs that will crush my little Prius without a second thought.

The point I wanted to make is that this uninteresting picture serves as a sort of page from my photo diary.  I haven't thought about that trip, that weekly trip I made, in many months.  It seems longer ago than just three years.  But they say a picture is worth a thousand words.  Microsoft word tells me this is under four hundred.

No comments: