Monday, February 21, 2022

Whither Crickets?

(image from here.)

Sometime around the beginning of the year I thought, "It's time to have another Self Help Radio show about a bug."  I couldn't even remember the last time I did a show about a bug.  Was it maybe moths?  But that was two years ago!  Yeah, that & the re-do I did of the bees show.  It's been two years!   A bug show is due!

But why crickets?  I dunno.  Maybe I just chanced upon the idea - there aren't that many here in Portland but there were crickets everywhere in Texas, all through my childhood.  There were cricket invasions in the apartments where we lived, I seem to remember in the fall, but I could be wrong.  They'd gather in the breezeways & you couldn't help but crunching a few as you walked past.

& jeez, looking at that picture up there, they kinda resemble sleeker cockroaches.  That's creepy.  I don't remember them being as creepy or aggressive as cockroaches though - crickets might accidentally fly at you, but it didn't seem like they were paying any attention.  Maybe it's because they're musicians.  You always assume musicians are kinda out of it.

Too late to back out now!  Tonight's Self Help Radio is all about the cricket.  It's on from midnight to 3am on 90.7fm in Portland & only everywhere at kboo.fm.  Fans of cricket chirps will be mightily rewarded.

No comments: