Monday, April 11, 2022

Whither Outlaws?

(image from here.)

Outlaws have an enduring popularity - from Robin Hood down to the "outlaw country" stars of the 1970s, many people seem to find something good in being actually quite bad.

A few months ago, I found myself doing a deep dive with the song "Jesse James." I kept hearing several versions in quick succession, from the first recording by Bentley Ball to the Pete Seeger version to re-discovering that the Pogues covered it on Rum, Sodomy, & The Lash.

But I certainly didn't think I could fill three hours of a radio show with songs about Jesse James - & I didn't just want to play version after version.  I've heard other radio shows do that, & I think I'd be as bored as the listener would find it tedious.

Thus began the idea of a show not just about Jesse James, but other outlaws.  Once I included Robin Hood, & Billy The Kid, & Bonnie & Clyde, & others - & of course just songs about outlaws - I figured I might have a decent show.  Tonight you'll get to decide if that is the case.

Self Help Radio airs from midnight to 3am on 90.7fm KBOO in Portland & everywhere at kboo.fm.  As an honest, law-abiding citizen I cannot condone the bad deeds in the songs I'll play.  But like everyone else I can succumb to the mythology & live vicariously through them!

No comments: