Sunday, July 17, 2022

Preface To 1986 (Continued): Idea For A Podcast

(image from here.)

Says the Wikipedia, "At Last The 1948 Show is a satirical television show that brought Cambridge Footlights humor to a broader audience.  The show starred Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Marty Feldman, & Aimi MacDonald. Chapman & Cleese would later be among the founders of the Monty Python comedy troupe, & several of the sketches first performed in At Last The 1948 Show would later be performed by Monty Python in various formats." It aired in 1967, & of the thirteen episodes, most of which were thought lost, eleven have been recovered.

What the hell has this to do with 1986, music, or podcasts? Jeez, why so impatient?

A word about podcasts: everyone has a podcast. Almost no one these days has an iPod, but everyone has a podcast.  I don't have a podcast, but I do have two radio shows, & sometimes people say to me, "Do you have a podcast?" & I say, "No, I have two radio shows," & they say, "Where can I listen to them?" & I tell them when they're on & they make faces because Tuesdays midnight to 3am is way too late & Thursdays 8 to 10am is a little too early & I have to say, "Oh, but you can download them on my website at Self Help Radio dot net" & although they have no intention of actually downloading them, they say, "So you do have a podcast."

Which is one way of saying even if you think you don't have a podcast, you almost certainly do have a podcast.

In the way people used to talk about radio shows, they now say podcast.  As if they believe all the radio does is air podcasts.  Maybe it's because it's very obvious that most of the shows they hear, since the pandemic, are recorded instead of live.  Also, I know people here in Portland who did radio shows so they could basically use the studios to make a podcast.  One time, at one of the stations here, the internet went down, & the show wasn't able to stream, which meant it wasn't recorded to be archived, & one programmer just decided to not come in to do his show because it wouldn't be saved on the computer.  I thought, "Does he not know it also goes out on the air?"  That wasn't his concern - he needed a recording for his podcast.

The truth is, I don't have a lot of time nor much of a desire to make a podcast.  It's just that I've spent the weekend looking at all the incredible music that came out in 1986 & I confess I've heard only a fraction of the releases & I wonder what I've missed.  So I thought I might take a moment every once in a while & talk about & play songs from records from 1986 - both ones that are familiar & ones that I've recently acquainted myself with - & I'd call it "At Last The 1986 Show."

Ha ha! You were wondering what all that nonsense at the very beginning of this was all about!  You thought I couldn't tie it all together!  What you didn't expect was that I could, & I did, & ultimately it makes no sense, & I was shabby about it all the way through?

Will it happen?  Maybe.  If it does, I'll tell you.  I'll put it on my website like everything else, though. No need to make it available wherever podcasts are sold.

No comments: