Monday, July 18, 2022

Whither 1986 (Continued)?

Self-Portrait With Facial Hair, 1986

The reason for this show is being eighteen years old. It's discovering a world of music one didn't know existed. It's leaving home for the first time, living on one's own for the first time, clumsy & dumb. It's lonesome & anxious, excited & fearful. It's thinking one had an idea about who one was & discovering that that simply was not the case. It's so long ago & so close one can touch it, in every song that was loved in that incredible year.

My birthday is in January.  Around that time, on Self Help Radio, I play songs from a particular year of my life.  I started with music from the year I was born, 1968, & this past January I made it to 1986. Which was a very important year for me. I graduated high school & in the fall I went to the University Of Texas At Austin for college. Sometime in-between, I got my first kiss, & the first real taste of heartbreak. I had become disillusioned with music that I heard on the radio & discovered a whole new world existed outside of it. For the first time in this series, I believe, I am playing more of the music I was listening to then than I was playing of stuff I discovered since.

& there was just too much music from 1986 that I love to fill one episode of Self Help Radio. So tonight I am going to play some more.  It has become painfully clear I won't get to play all my favorite music from 1986. & that there is favorite music from 1986 yet to be discovered. But I'll do my best.

Listen from midnight to 3am on 90.7fm in Portland & online at kboo.fm.  If you live in 1986, you will not be able to listen online. Sorry about that.

No comments: