Saturday, September 10, 2022

Smoky 2020


In Portland two years ago today, smoke from nearby wildfires turned the skies orange.  That's a picture of the sun up there.  Being outside was like standing right next to a barbecue pit with all the smoke coming at you.  It was so unpleasant & if I recall we were trapped in the house for three days - maybe more.  We'd take the dogs out - they'd act as though it wasn't a big deal - but I couldn't be outside for very long.  When we decided to go somewhere to get food, we didn't last three blocks.

This morning I woke to a somewhat yellowish sky.  I had heard that in addition to it being quite warm - in the mid-90s - there would be smoke from nearby wildfires.  Indeed, a neighbor told me her parents in Salem had been evacuated. According to this website ("Current Wildfire Situation"), the nearest fires to me are at Hagg Lake to the west & Vitae Springs (the one threatening Salem) to the south.  It doesn't appear that they will come close to Portland, but they can apparently make the skies yellowish & smokey.

There was a gathering for a neighbor who's moving, it happened in someone's backyard a few days ago, & I innocently asked if 2020 was a fluke or if it happens regularly, if it takes a year off, why we hadn't had the same experience in a couple of years - & this morning happened.  I should learn to keep my big mouth shut.

No comments: