Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Preface To Howard Gently Year One Continued: I Miss My Friend

(A picture of the Gently Command Center from the now-defunct Howard Gently Facebook page.)

On this day three years ago, my mother died. I wrote about it at the time. I woke today feeling a little off, like there was something I was supposed to do. When I napped this afternoon, I dreamed I kept losing my wallet. When I woke I remembered weird advice my mother gave me about keeping my wallet in my front pocket, which I do to this day. My little brother wrote on Facebook about the anniversary of her death - which I know I would've eventually remembered.

It was extra strange because I spent the day listening to bits created by my friend Russell, who died in June. I wrote about that too.  As I hope you know, Russell played a character for nine years on my radio show, my spiritual mentor the Rev. Dr. Howard Gently. I will play more of his appearances on the show tomorrow.

Russell lost his mother early, she had a rare form of dementia that took her from him when she was still quite young. His mother was very kind. She seemed to me like a housewife in an old sitcom, one who is mock-stern but smiles ridiculously when her kooky son does something goofy. Russell loved her dearly, & he went to live with her after his father died in the mid-1990s.

There are so many stories to tell about our mothers & our friends. I am so grateful I have recordings of Russell being funny because although he & I went through some tough times, the things which initially bonded us - our love of music & our sense of humor - are there in the radio shows I made which he guested on. So many people love Russell's prank calls that I am a little shocked they haven't all become massive fans of Howard Gently. Maybe Gently is too subtle for them. Maybe he isn't making fun of religious people so directly.

Maybe you'll enjoy more of him. Having spent all day with him, I am glad to say I do. & I miss him so.

1 comment:

Drreevesisme@gmail.com said...

I'm truly sorry for your loss Gary. I've been listening to your show on kboo off and on since you took over that time slot from Lounge World. Always loved the Howard Gently bits. You guys had me going more than once, really well done! Just started looking into your web page and blog. There's a lot here man! You've had a heck of a lot of loss in your life recently. It's kind of hard to know what to say except I am truly sorry. But I am also glad you've archived so much. You're one heck of a dedicated person. I am a kboo subscriber but am going to send an additional donation here directly and Free-form (why's it do that?) Portland as well. Thank you so much brother!