Sunday, September 22, 2024

Preface To Spirals: Not Related At All, Going To See Billy Bragg Tonight

(image from here)

This is where I'll be in a few hours. I bought my first Billy Bragg record in Austin the day before I went back to Garland after my first year of college, May 1987. It was Talking With The Taxman. I fell in love with it that summer. The next year I bought Workers Playtime the day I saw it at Sound Exchange. & later that year I saw Billy Bragg at Liberty Lunch, one of the best concerts I've ever seen in my life.

Later I got to see him at Austin City Limits, & later still in Covington, Kentucky, the first time I got to see him with my wife, who wasn't much of a fan before the show. She is now - she's going tonight!

This has nothing to do with this week's show. & I know these days it's not that weird. But while Billy Bragg celebrates the fortieth anniversary of his first American tour, I am amazed I've been a fan of his for almost that amount of time. & I marvel how music can live in you for so long.

No comments: