Monday, January 22, 2007

1971 Haiku Wrap-Up - & More!

This is my first Monday post in a while, so I thought I'd do something slightly different that what I had previously been doing, which was printing the winning haikus from Friday's show. I'll still do that, but I thought I'd also add a couple of features to this already dynamic site. I only hope I can keep up.

First & foreleast, every day that I write something for the site (which is usually weekdays), I'll add a "Song Of The Day." Generally these "songs of the day" (& I hope I'll always put them in quotation marks) will be something I'm listening to when I write the blog. It may or may not contain information about the band or commentary from me, depending on whether I have time, inclination &/or anything to say. It will appear at the end of the blog post, & will be available for two weeks, after which time I'll remove it forever. I'll put its "due date" next to the links for those of you finding this years later with whatever searching apparatus that shall come after Google.

Secondly, a listener has decided he wants (anonymously) to contribute a limerick to the show every week. Let's see if he can live up to his promise. So in addition to haiku, there'll be a limerick, too. A Self Help Radio anthology surely cannot be far behind.

Thirdly, here's a picture of me kissing Oscar Wilde's grave in Paris. It's titled "Gary Gone Wilde." Har Har.





Now, the haiku winners:

FOURTH PLACE: Red

You give me a year
No one knows nor remembers
I have squat to say.

THIRD PLACE: Amelia

One nine seven one
Is too far away to see
Distantly life shrinks

SECOND PLACE: Jeanie

Are there an old year
Feeding spacetalk back at we?
Newyear talks louder.

FIRST PLACE: Carl

All the flowers born
In the rich sixties soil
Died in Vietnam.

Congrats to all! Want to know why these people are writing haikus? Click here to find out!

Here's the 1971 limerick from the Anonymous Limerickster:

In nineteen & seventy-one
The decade had not quite begun
Its profile so low
How could anyone know
The seventies would be such fun?

& now "The Song Of The Day".

All I know about this band is from their Allmusic Guide profile: Matson Jones is a Colorado band who contributed a creepily lovely song to last year's second volume of Alright, [sic] This Time Just The Girls Vol. 2. It's called "A Little Bit Of Arson", & you can click on the name to listen to it. This mp3 will be removed February 5, 2007.

This week's show is about owls. Owls! If you have a song request, a haiku, or even a limerick, email me!

No comments: