Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Preface To Owls: Are They Stupid Or Wise?

A co-worker just told me that owls look like cats. I had never thought about it. I had been thinking about owls & cats, though - probably because of this Burl Ives song I'll most likely play on Friday - that owls, which can be quite large, would be one hell of a meal for a cat. Especially my cats, who'd probably play with an owl before killing it, then just eat a little bit of it, & then leave the rest for me, in that weird way that cats share their kills with their owners. But, truly, a baby owl could probably kick all three of my cats' asses.

My cats are pussies.

Owls are fucking gorgeous creatures. Here's a page with pictures about owls of North America. I don't think I've seen a lot owls in my life, but recently, on an early morning walk with my girlfriend & our dogs, I did see one in a tree just before dawn, its silhouette stern & imposing. I am glad there are owls in our neighborhood - I just wish they'd maybe come hang out or something, preferably when they're first coming out (if they have to come at night) rather than right before they call it a day, since I'm hardly ever up that early, & I don't think my girlfriend really wants to be hanging out with owls. Not in the same way I do.

Here's a web page with pictures about the Eastern Screech Owl, featuring something that sounds naughty called a "nest cam." This site, by the way, is hosted where I work, the University of Texas, & the owls were here in Austin. I don't think this was the kind of owl I saw. I like the name "Screech Owl," though.

The site has a link to a list of sites that feature live video &/or updated photographs of nesting birds if you're that kind of weirdo. They have a name for sickos like you: amateur ornithologist. I foresee years of therapy for you & your ilk.

& now: the "Song Of The Day".

Today's song is from last year's collection of B-sides & stuff called Future Crayon (which is dumb name for a record) by the English band Broadcast (which is a great name for a band). I'm not a huge fan of the band, because I like my music to be a little more snappy than theirs is, but this is a lovely electronically-influenced instrumental from the record that cycled on my iPod as I started to write this. It's called Belly Dance & clicking on its name will let you listen to it. This mp3 will removed from this blog on February 6, 2007.

Tomorrow I explain why I'm doing a show about owls. & no, it's not because I enjoy hunting mice at night.

No comments: