Thursday, December 06, 2012

Useless Explanations

(Noises of things being shuffled around in an attempt to delay or if possible postpone.)

Well.

No one's here so it's as good a time as any to make an apology.

I am lucky there's no mirror here because it's me I am apologizing to.

From the almost-earliest days of Self Help Radio (meaning in the show's third year), I started doing an end-of-the-year "best of" show (quickly retitled "favorites") because that's what radio shows do & because I listen to a lot of records during the year & want to support many of them (especially if they don't have songs that fit into my chosen themes).

Well.  I was also listening to a lot of electronica at that time, so it seemed - I started this a year or two later - I could also do a "favorite electronica" show.

& I did.  From 2005 to 2011.

You might have noticed I am not going to do one this year.  Was there no good electronica?

Actually, I'm not sure.  I kind of lost interest.

Not entirely.  But not enough to fill an entire radio show.

I think a lot of my favorite electronica artists have decided they want to be more poppy.  Or make their music with acoustic instruments, to "prove" their musicians.  & then there's dubstep, which became ubiquitous, & which is mostly not all that good these days.  At some point I drifted away.

So, I apologize.  I wish I kept up.  I wish I had the energy to keep up.  There was a lot of great music this year.  A lot.  The favorites show will be hard to do.

But no electronica.

Sorry about that.

(Looking around, sounds of crickets, the lights dim.)

No comments: