Thursday, January 17, 2013

Change Comes

It's true, if change were a body part, change is afoot with Self Help Radio.  Obviously, one thing that won't change are my dreadful attempts at puns.  So bad, it's punishing.  But I digress.

This Monday there won't be a Self Help Radio.  That's a change, since there's been a Self Help Radio every Monday since early October, & many of the Mondays of the year before then.  Not only won't there be a Self Help Radio this Monday, there won't be any Self Help Radios on Mondays for the foreseeable future.

This Monday, from 8am on, is Democracy Now's coverage of the Inauguration.

I don't know who'll be on Mondays from 6 to 9 am after Self Help Radio goes, but certainly you should take some solace that after Democracy Now on Mondays on WRFL will still be Allen & the Number One Super Hour.  I do!

Self Help Radio is planning to relocate to Fridays from 4 to 6 pm.  I know what you're thinking - wasn't that your last timeslot back in Austin?

What?  You weren't thinking that?  Oh.

But here's the saddest thing, even sadder than the people who might accidentally stumble onto my show during the drive home on Friday afternoon, the saddest thing is, since I'm going down to two hours, I have to let go of the freeform indiepop show I started over two years ago: Sugar Substitute.

Named after a song by my favorite Austin band (& using that song in its intro), the radio show called Sugar Substitute was my attempt to play new releases & older things I'd forgotten, & had escaped its indiepop focus in recent years.

I will miss it - I am toying with the idea of keeping it alive perhaps in podcast form - but the last version to be aired on WRFL will be a two-hour season finale - not a series finale! - on Monday morning.

So: no Self Help Radio this Monday.  Two hour Sugar Substitute, the last of it for a while.  Then, inauguration report on Democracy Now on WRFL from 8am till I think 1pm.

Self Help Radio on Fridays, again?  Really?  Jeez.

No comments: