Thursday, January 24, 2013

Preface To Last Night: This Morning

Well.  I have emerged (I hope) from the other side of a sickness - though as I typed that, I coughed & sniffled, so maybe my body knows something I don't - & I think I am sufficiently ready to premiere Self Help Radio at 4pm on a Friday in Lexington.

Do you remember?  My last gig at KOOP in Austin was Fridays from 4:30 to 6:00  pm.  I don't know if it was at all successful - I had a weird issue with a person who hated my show & felt the need to vent under multiple identities on my old guestbook, so I definitely had people who did not like my show - but I got lots of calls & I had a ton of fun.  Perhaps that will be the same on these Friday afternoons.

I started Self Help Radio on Wednesday afternoons in Austin & ended on Friday afternoons.  I found myself doing it in the evening, afternoon & morning (not all at the same time) in West Virginia for a little under a year (the people of Huntington were distinctly underwhelmed by my show, no matter what time it was on).  When I came to RFL, I did it originally from 4:30 to 6:00 am (!) & then from midnight to 1:30 am before finding myself on Monday mornings for a year.

Is it a different vibe, afternoons?  I shudder to even think.  One thing: the station is very quiet in the mornings - the university isn't open yet, & as the morning wears on, people come in, lights come on, chains come off the door (they really do chain the doors closed at the UK Student Center, it's odd).  On Friday afternoon, the opposite will happen - offices will close, people will be leaving, chains will be put on doors (I've never actually seen that happen, though - perhaps they do that at midnight for creepier effect).

Also, I will have been awake longer than half an hour.  That might not necessarily be a good thing.

It's a new era!  Sort of like an era a while ago!  Probably not much of a difference either way!

No comments: