Tuesday, February 05, 2013

An Artist I'm Always Forgetting I Like: De Chirico

Many paintings here.

That painting up there, which is called "Mystery & Melancholy Of A Street," was in one of my high school English texts.  I remember being enchanted by it, at a time when I didn't really have any opinion of art at all.

I was never able to make what happened in my head come out properly on the page in my art classes in middle school, & I have no idea if my high school had art classes - I certainly would never have thought to take them.  At best I drew lots of comic strips.  But real art?  It seemed very far away.

I love De Chirico's fucked up perspective, but I also love his shadows.  The shadows!  I always find myself wanting to explore the rest of his paintings, like I could climb inside & find out what the hell's happening on the other side of the building.

I need to remember to look at more art now & then.  It's good for the head.

No comments: