Thursday, February 07, 2013

Preface To Love Is...: Oh God, It's A WEEK Until Valentine's Day?

If my show were still on Monday mornings, I'd be doing my show on Valentine's Day week.  It seems a little silly to be doing the show a week before Valentine's Day.  No one is thinking about chocolate & flowers on the Friday before the Valentine's Day that's on a Thursday.  Indeed, it might be safe to say that if I did it the day after Valentine's Day this year, which is a Friday, there would still be residual love left for me to pull off a day-after-Valentine's-Day show.

Listen: one of this days, I'm going to do a show about Valentinus, an early Christian who believed in that kooky kind of Kristianity called Gnosticism.  (He probably wouldn't have called it that - he would've called himself a Real Christian not like those soon-to-be-Catholic fuckers.)

Look: here's a graphic (well, it's made up of text) I took from the page about Valentinianism on the Wikipedia:
I can't even begin to explain what this is supposed to mean.  See, the beginning of all things at one thing projected thirty Aeons who are fifteen pairs of heavenly archetypes.  & Jesus comes along at some point.  I am not drunk nor high enough to really understand it (or explain it!) & also I don't think our culture would be as screwed-up sexually if Gnostic Christianity had beaten the "orthodox" Christianity that prevailed (the Gnostics also thought the flesh was icky).  But boy! wouldn't this have been fun to learn instead of Jesus walking on the water?  It's like if Zen had become the dominant form of Buddhism.

This has nothing to do with Valentine's Day, which is not Valentinus' day.  He doesn't get one.  All of his writings are lost, presumed destroyed.  Because the "orthodox" Christians who triumphed are sore winners.

No comments: