Thursday, January 23, 2014

Whither Rope?

Basically, I wondered if I could find enough songs about rope to fill a radio show.  I did!  I would've had enough even if I still had two hours.

In my research (ie, looking around the web) I have discovered that human beings have been using rope for more than 19,000 years.  They found fossils of rope at Lascaux.  That's incredible.

To put it into perspective: anthropologists believe that human beings "invented" (it's better to say "discovered") agriculture around 10,000 BCE, or 12,000 years ago.  They had five millenia of playing with rope before they discovered they could plant seeds!

Humankind's fascination with rope hasn't ended.  There are websites which can teach you how to make rope.  You can watch youtube videos about it.  You can learn how to put together machines for making rope.

I can't think of the last time that I used a rope.  I think I went across a rope bridge last summer in Costa Rica.  I guess a dog's leash is sort of like a rope.  (If you actually use a rope for your dog's leash, you might be an asshole.)  Help me!  When could I have last used a rope?

In any event, people love rope.  It makes sense there'd be enough songs about rope for my little radio show.  & you'll get to hear it tomorrow at noon!

No comments: