Thursday, October 09, 2014

Whither Heaven?

On December 3, 2003, I did what was somewhere between my 45th & 49th episode of Self Help Radio*.  The theme was heaven.  My show in those days was an hour long, & not terribly well-constructed**.  I didn't, for example, have music under my voice during airbreaks.  In a real sense, I was still "finding my voice" for the show.

I believe I have a tape of that show, but I didn't think about playing it till just now, & I don't have time to try to find it & digitize it.  Too bad!  It would be interesting to listen to it!***

In 2008, when the show was six years old, I hit upon the idea of revisiting an old theme on my anniversary.  So when this, my twelfth anniversary, rolled around, & I was looking at old playlists, it hit me that I could re-explore a theme & also do something I love to do (I've only done it once before, though): have a show where all the songs on the show have the same title.  It'll happen tomorrow: the show will revisit the theme "Heaven" & all the songs will be called "Heaven."  Yay!

It's on Friday morning from 7 to 9am on 88.1 fm in Lexington or online at WRFL dot fm.  If you're celebrating the anniversary early, & aren't able to wake up early enough, I understand, & I'll put the show on my website later in the day.

Twelve years!  I can't imagine there'll be twelve more.

* I don't know how to count which shows are official shows.  At that time, there was a show called "The Pilot Show" the hour before SHR.  I was the person tasked with being there to watch over new & trainee programmers.  Oftentimes, they would cancel at the last minute, so I made it a habit to have an extra themed show prepared in the case that that occurred, which it did somewhat often.  But do I count those?  If so, 49th is the more or less right number.

** Yeah, yeah.

*** For interesting, read: painful.

No comments: