Thursday, February 19, 2015

Whither Razors?

Look. Sometimes you're all like, "Could I really do a radio show about ______?"

& it's not just, "Can I play a bunch of songs about ______?" but "Can I play a bunch of actually good songs about _____?"  Because there are always enough songs about a theme.  Always.  I remember when I did my Halloween show about werewolves, I discovered there were an almost literal shit ton of songs about werewolves in the metal genre.  As someone who never developed a taste for any metal really, that was a problem - because I only play songs that I actually enjoy.

Imagine, then, me, a few months ago, asking, "Could I really do a radio show about razors?"  I was asking "Could I really do a radio show with good songs about razors?"

It took me a while, but I did in fact find a decent number of good songs about razors.  This does mean that the show kinda originated in a dare to myself.

Where did the idea of songs about razors come from?  Easy.  I was listened to Blind Willie McTell & was intrigued about his song, "The Razor Ball."  I don't know what a razor ball is (the "ball" in the title is in the sense of "dance party") but I loved the song, & it made me think, "Hm, songs about razors."

That's where the dare came in.  I dare myself a lot when I've been drinking.  Did I mention I was drinking while listening to Blind Willie McTell?  Oh well.  I said, "I bet you can't…"  & then I started to think about razor songs.

Which brings us to tomorrow morning.  The low temperature is supposed to be -12 degrees.  I don't even know if I've ever experienced negative temperatures.  I'll be getting into a car & driving to the radio station in negative temperatures.  But!  I'll do it.  Because it's what I do!

An entire show about razors.  From 7-9am.  On 88.1 fm Lexington in quite literally frozen Lexington.  Online in happier climes at wrfl dot fm.

Also I should add: brrrrrrrrr.

No comments: