Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Whither The Heavy Show?

It was a couple of months ago.  I was listening to some 70s Soul.  Specifically, I was listening to this record:

(image courtesy of discogs.com)

One track on the album that particularly charmed me is called "Heavy Love."  Heavy love!  Love does feel heavy, a lot of the time.  That made me think, when I let my mind wander through all the songs up there, of the John Lennon Beatles song (written about Yoko) called "I Want You (She's So Heavy)."

We now use the word "heavy" as a nice way of saying "fat," but in the skinny 60s & 70s, they took one of the word's meaning - "deep" & "profound" - & made it close to slang.  It came to mean serious or important - not too far removed from profound, if you ask me.  Profundity sometimes implies importance.

Perhaps, I thought, this would be a good theme for my radio show.  I began the task of assembling songs not about heaviness in terms of weight - although I'll probably play some of those - but heaviness that mirrors the "profound"/"important" meanings.

Self Help Radio's heavy show is on today from 4 to 5:30 pm on WRFL Lexington, 88.1 fm in town, wrfl dot fm on your computer.  (The last half hour goes to my trainee, who needs the practice.  My show is not so heavy it can't give up a little time every once in a while.)  I'll put the show up tomorrow, if you plan on missing it.

But don't!  Please listen!

No comments: