Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Whither Wheels?

(I found this image here.)

One might suppose I always have a fun reason for the themes I pick.  One would be mistaken.

Sometimes I can't remember why I thought of a particular topic to explore.  How do themes get chosen to be on WRFL?  I can think of perhaps four scenarios:

1) It is suggested to me by a listener.
2) It somehow relates to an anniversary, holiday, or current event.
3) It is stumbled onto by repetition, or serendipity, or chance.  Usually this means I just keep hearing the theme in song after song.
4) There is no real explanation.

Today I have to say it's number four.  At some point in the past, I created a folder in the SHR area of my computer, & that folder said, "Wheels."  (It might have said "Wheelz" because I am a dork.)  I discovered it sometime later, & began to think of songs that might fit into that folder.  Once the folder was full enough to make a radio show, I put it on the queue.  In the queue.  Whatever.

& that's why today's show is about wheels.  I really don't know what the inspiration was & that's about as much as I can say.  Wheels.  Wheel.  Whee!

The show is on from 4 to 6 pm today on 88.1 fm WRFL in Lexington & online at wrfl dot fm online.  I'll archive it tomorrow.

Maybe you'll listen?

No comments: