Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Whither Pyramids?

(But where do they store all the grain?  Image from here.)

Before you say anything: no, I couldn't find any song that Bowie recorded that mentions pyramids.  That sucks.  I searched & searched.  I racked my stupid brains.  It's sad.

Does that mean I won't do a tribute show for him?  Probably not.  WHAT?!?

You see, I have already done one, many moons ago.  & I checked - this is true - I played Bowie sixteen times on the radio last year.  That's more than once a month.  (& probably more than 99.9% of all artists I played on my show.)  If you go back the twenty-some-odd years that I've been doing radio, it's probable I've played him hundreds of times.  Isn't that a tribute of sorts?

You'll hear Bowie on Self Help Radio next week for sure.  But this week - well, you'd think a man who wrote so many songs might have deigned to write one about a pyramid.  For fuck's sake.

As for pyramids - yes, I got the idea for doing the show from Dr. Ben Carson.  Of course.  To hear an actual presidential candidate - & at the time, frontrunner for the nomination of his political party - say such stupid shit has become so common in these Trumpian times it's almost cliché, but I still find it amusing.  I'm sure it'll get mentioned on the show.

But oh my god, do not read the comments for this Youtube video about who built the pyramids.  I mean, don't read the comments, ever, but it's especially awful to read the guy who doubles down on the idea that the Egyptians used the wheel to build the pyramids because, you know, the Bible.  It's amazing how people can explain things patiently to an individual & yet, wow, nothing gets in.

What was I going on about?  Oh yeah pyramids.  A show about pyramids!  & me still very heartbroken about David Bowie.

The show's on from 4-6pm today in snowy Lexington.  You can listen at 88.1 fm in town or also online at wrfl dot fm everywhere.  I have tons of guests, I have tons of songs, I have no plans to be dissected, embalmed, & entombed in a giant structure, but one never knows.  I hope you'll listen!

No comments: