Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Gary Files # 17: Gary Gnu

(I found this image here.)

An explanation: Since the name Gary is going extinct, I thought it incumbent upon me to celebrate more notable Garys than myself.  This is the seventeenth of a series!

Gary Gnu hosted a no-gnewscast during the children's show The Great Space Coaster.  He pronounced his last name "guh-new," & he disliked television news, which of course he called "guh-news."  He hosted the "No Gnews Is Good Gnews Show."

Wait.  This is a cartoon character?  No, he was a puppet.  Can't you see the picture above?

Have you run out of famous people named Gary?  Why do you say that?

Because now you're using fictional Garys! It says up there I'll "celebrate more notable Garys than myself."  It doesn't say they have to be real human beings!

Oh all right.  When did you first become aware of (oh god) Gary Gnu?  On his television show, The Great Space Coaster!

It says here the show was on between 1981-1986.  Yeah, so?

You graduated high school in 1986?  I did - what are you implying?

You were still watching children's shows when you were 18?  Maybe not when I was 18 - but probably when I was 13.  I'm a nerd, I'm not ashamed.

Do I ask you if his name were really Gary?  I'm sure it was.  Probably to be alliterative with gnu pronounced with a hard g.

Is it time to stop doing this "Gary Files" bit?  Oh hell no!  I'm sure there are many more notable Garys out there!

No comments: