Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Whither You Will Never?

(Original image here.)

You know how you do this radio show, right?  You've tasked yourself for the last thirteen or so years with exploring a different theme or topic each week?  Furthermore, you've snobbishly decided you probably won't do shows with easy topics like "cars" or "dancing" or any of the other themes that most other topic-based shows (like this one) tend to do?  Right?

What do you do, then, to make your show somehow different than those?  Do you notice, when you're listening to music, when there appear to be recurring imagery, phrases, & the like?  Sure you do!  & doesn't that sometimes lead to some really awkward themes?  Of course it does!

That's why this week's show has the theme "you will never."  It seemed like, at some point in the past, I noticed there were lots of songs I was listening to that kept using the phrase "you will never," mostly contracted to "you'll never."  In a weak moment, I thought to myself, "Hey!  That would make a good show!"  In a weaker moment, I thought, "Hey!  I'll do that show!"

Which means "you will never" is this week's theme.  Oh no!  Oh yes.  It's on from 4-6pm today on 88.1 fm WRFL in Lexington, online at wrfl dot fm.  I can't promise anything, but if you've suffered through one episode of Self Help Radio before, this'll probably be about the same experience.

But again, no promises!  You'll never hear those sorts of promises from me.

No comments: