Monday, April 04, 2016

Preface To Taking Sides: Napping

If you want me on your side, make sure your side takes naps.  Because I love naps.  I can sleep a full, uninterrupted, delightful eight hours & still want a nap in the afternoon or early evening.  I used to not be able to take short naps - & frankly I don't think any nap shorter than an hour is worth it - but for example today I took a 75-minute long nap.  & it was great.

One of the things that I love about naps is that, for whatever reason, my brain goes straight into REM sleep.  I dream like a crazy person.  I know listening to people's dreams is super boring, so prepare to be super-bored, because here's what I dreamt about sometime between 1 & 2:15 pm this afternoon:

The dream I remember begins in the middle, it's a "driving around" dream, & I witness an accident in front of me.  I get out of my car to help (later in the dream I try to remember whether I parked the car properly or not), but already there are good citizens freeing someone who's been trapped under a crushed car.  The person is okay!  WRFL is nearby (in reality, it's nowhere near a busy road), so I go in, & I need to go to an office to talk to one of the directors.  Lots of people are there, & they're excited to talk to me, because somehow they think I am the hero of the recent car crash.  I tell them that I didn't do anything, but they try to get me to give them details.  I manage to lose them in labyrinthine hallways which of course don't exist in the station.  The director I talk to asks about my foot, because I am limping, & I figure something happened in the accident (when in reality I did hurt my left toe, & it was throbbing as I slept).

The dream changed course & I'm not sure whether there was a segue or whether I woke up (even in REM sleep, I am a light sleeper) & settled back into the dream, but suddenly:

At a dinner party at my house, one of the guests tells me she's never heard Blood On The Tracks.  I can't believe it - she has told me she's a big Dylan fan - so I go to the room in my house where I keep my CDs to let her borrow it, where I discover that my wife has rearranged the room.  In the process, all of my CDs are out of alphabetical order, & when I try to find the Dylan CD, it's not with its compatriots.  Worse yet, trying to sort the CDs makes the shelf tip over, & CDs spill onto the floor.  Grumpily, I swear to myself that I will make my wife clean it up.

Now, the dream changes again into some kind of video game thing - I am swimming across a moat toward a chameleon-like monster who may or may not be my ally - when my alarm wakes me up.  I rush to tell my wife about the cool dreams, but she's napping in the living room.  There are lots of reasons we married, & our love of naps is maybe one of those reasons.

As I've probably said before, I don't think dreams "mean" anything.  They do however keep my mind agile in a world where days can be humdrum, especially Mondays, when I have to put together a radio show, which can be fun but can also be tedious.

There was an article I once read about a dude whose rigorous timetable had him awake for eight hours at a time, & slept between those eight hours exactly four hours.  I think I might even have wanted to try that at some point (I was in college so it was impossible, since classes were scheduled all around the daytime hours).  Now when I think about that schedule, it kind of horrifies me.

You see: no naps!

No comments: