Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Self Help Radio 040516: Taking Sides

(Original image here.)

Forced to choose sides, the cheese stands alone!  That's the first line of action-packed young adult novel I never finished writing.  In fact, I never started writing it.  I just have that beginning line.  Forced to choose sides, the cheese stands alone!  It's my own "It was a dark & stormy night."

That has only a tangential connection to this week's show, which is about taking sides.  Is "taking a side" the same as "choosing a side"?  Online idiom dictionaries suggest there's a difference.  To take someone's side is "to agree with or support someone," while choosing sides is "to select from a group to be on opposing sides for a debate, fight, or game."  These are specific, however.  I think I can take the side of a person, or a group of people, or a supernatural entity.  I can also choose the side of these things.  Therefore I would say the only difference is emphasis - taking a side seems more forceful, impetuous; choosing a side seems more deliberate & thoughtful.

But what the hell do I know?

The show is available at the Self Help Radio website.  In case you didn't know, there's a password requirement, but that info in on the page.  The show is in two parts, one following the other, so it's not like they're two sides competing with one another.  What's in each side - er, I mean, part - below.

Remember: if you're on Self Help Radio's side, Self Help Radio is on your side!

(part one)

"I'm On Your Side" The Frugal Sound _Ripples Vol. 3: The Autumn Almanac (Soft Rock & Folk Baroque Sounds Of The UK)_
"I'm On Your Side" Fosca _Diary Of An Antibody_
"I'm On Your Side" You Say France & I Whistle _Angry Men_

"Time Is On My Side" Wilson Pickett _The Wicked Pickett_
"Time Is On Our Side" Hot Rain _The Sound Of Leamington Spa, Vol. 1_
"Time Is Never On Our Side" Laura Watling _Early Morning Walk_
"Time Is On Your Side" Earth, Wind & Fire _The Eternal Dance_

"Hope Is Still On Your Side" The Scotland Yard Gospel Choir _...And The Horse You Rode In On_
"History's On Your Side" Shy Camp _History's On Your Side_
"God Is On My Side" Hefner _Breaking God's Heart_
"With God On Our Side" The Neville Brothers _How Many Roads (Black America Sings Bob Dylan)_

"On My Side" Mysteries Of Life _Keep A Secret_
"On Your Side" Brakes _The Beatific Visions_

(part two)

"On Your Side" The Radio Dept. _Passive Aggressive (Singles 2002-2010)_
"On Your Side" The Shondes _The Garden_
"Three Cheers For Our Side" Orange Juice _You Can't Hide Your Love Forever_

"Which Side Are You On?" The Almanac Singers _Songs For Political Action: Folk Music, Topical Songs & The American Left 1935-1954: The Almanac Singers, March 1941-July 1941_
"Which Side Are You On?" Billy Bragg _Brewing Up With Billy Bragg_
"Whose Side Are You On?" Grant McLennan _Fireboy_
"Which Side" Red Lorry Yellow Lorry _Paint Your Wagon_

"You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side" Morrissey _Your Arsenal_
"Your Side" Fear Of Men _Early Fragments_
"Shot By Both Sides" Magazine _Real Life_
"Take My Side" Will Butler _Policy_

"Down By The River" Neil Young _Live At The Cellar Door_

No comments: