Sunday, April 03, 2016

Cradle To Grave, Episode Seventeen


Here is a radio show that never aired.  It was never on the radio.  It was supposed to be on the radio.  It was made to be played on the air.  Why was it not played when it would normally have been played?  I don't know.  What's more, I have no evidence to even speculate.  But I think I can say with certainty one thing: it wasn't pre-empted because of some qualitative assessment.  That is to say, the management of WLXL didn't give it a listen & say, "Oh jesus, this is terrible.  Do not under any circumstances air that program!"

If that was something that was a possibility, nothing I do would ever be allowed on the air!

No, my guess is it was an error.  All the weekend shows at WLXL are pre-recorded, & so, as happens from time-to-time, a mistake was made.  The wife was very apologetic to me last night, as if she had a hand in it; I know she was thinking of all the work I put into the show.  But I know how hard they're working at WLXL to make a radio station - it's something I can't imagine myself being able to undertake without fucking up all the time.  That there are so few mix-ups is a testimony to how seriously they're taking that great task, & I for one am in no position to do anything but help in what little way I can & to watch (& listen) with admiration.

Again, they're building a radio station from the ground up.  That's incredible.

Anyway, I knew I could put my show on my website if anyone wanted to listen.  & so I have.  It's at the regular place.  You can listen if you want.  Lots of great people celebrated & commemorated on that day.  Yesterday.  The day before.  The songs I played are below.

(birthdays)

"Novelty Blues" Jazz Wizards _Omer Simeon: The Rarest & Greatest Tracks 1929-1954_
"Jim Jam Stomp" Joe Marsala's Chicagoans _That Devilin' Tune: A Jazz History (1895-1950)_
"Sometimes I'm Happy" Benny Goodman & His Orchestra _Bunny Berigan: The Pied Piper (1935-1940)_
"Beer Barrel Polka" Jim Robinson _Jim Robinson With Kid Thomas, Ernie Cagnolatti, & De De Pierce_
"That's Entertainment" Jack Buchanan, Fred Astaire, Nanette Fabray, & Oscar Levant _The Band Wagon OST_

"Walkin' Home" J.T. Brown _Ham Hocks & Cornbread_
"Pepino The Italian Mouse" Lou Monte _Your Hit Parade: Golden Goofers_
"True Love Ways" Buddy Holly & The Crickets _Greatest Hits_
"A Six Pack To Go" Leon Russell _Dylan, Cash, & The Nashville Cats: A New Music City_
"Here Come The Martian Martians" Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers _Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers_

"Je T'Aime... Moi Non Plus" Serge Gainsbourg _Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg_
"Love Hurts" Gram Parsons & Emmylou Harris _Grievous Angel_
"Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)" Marvin Gaye _What's Going On_
"Rock & Roll (Could Never Hip Hop Like This)" Handsome Boy Modeling School _So... How's Your Girl?_

(death anniversaries)

"Onion Eating Mama" Cliff Carlisle (as Bob Clifford) _Roots 'N' Blues: The Retrospective_
"Chain Gang" Sam Cooke _The Man & His Music_
"April In Paris" The Modernaires with Paula Kelly _Singin' & Swingin'_
"Harbor Lights (vocals Kenny Gardner)" Guy Lombardo & His Royal Canadians _Enjoy Yourself: The Hits Of Guy Lombardo_
"The Very Thought Of You" Al Bowlly with The Ray Noble Orchestra _Al Bowlly With Ray Noble 1931-1934_

"Moten Stomp" Bennie Moten's Kansas City Orchestra _Body & Soul: 80 Years Of RCA Jazz_
"S'il Vous Plait" Miles Davis Nonet _The Complete Birth Of The Cool Sessions_
"Shank's Pranks" Bud Shank (with Shorty Rogers) _Bud Shank Quintets_
"Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" The Buddy Rich Big Band _Mercy, Mercy_

"Love's Made A Fool Of You" The Esquires _The Singles... Plus_
"Send Me A Postcard" Shocking Blue _We Can Fly, Vol. 3_
"Hot Smoke & Sassafras" Bubble Puppy _A Gathering Of Promises_
"Anywhere" B.J. Baker _Anywhere_

"Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me On" Edwin Starr _The Complete Motown Singles, Vol 11A: 1971_

1 comment:

jenny a said...

Great show! Worth the wait.