Sunday, May 15, 2016

Validation! (or is it) Confirmation!

Do you remember back here when I wrote this:

My brain believes that when certain memories I have are put somewhere else - saved in a journal, or a letter, or an email, or anywhere other than my brain - it (the brain) can safely forget them, or store them someplace obscure in the dusty vaults of the mind.

It turns out that scientists have been studying this for some time now.  This article, for example, says outright that "We know we can depend on Google for information, so we don't bother remembering it."

Another study I read this weekend - which I can't find anywhere right now - basically had a group of people memorize answers to trivia questions, & were told that some of the answers could be found via search engine while some couldn't.  The subjects of the study were more likely to remember the answers they were told they couldn't find online later.

The strange thing is, a lot of these studies feel familiar to me, so think I've read these articles before.  Thus, this probably isn't "my brain theory" at all, but the results of scientific studies I once perused which correspond with my own experience.  But why can't I remember reading them in the first place?

Oh yeah - I knew they were online.

No comments: