Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Whither Attack?

(I found this image here.)

Oh no, this is another one of those shows for which I have no real reason why I chose the theme.  "Attack"?  Where could that have come from?

But it turns out there is a story from this, & it turns out, it's about Halloween.  What?  Listen:

Quite often I have complained (like here) that at some point I am going to run out of scary Halloween themes.  I've covered all the big ones - vampires, mummies, zombies, etc. - what happens when there are no more?  In recent years, I've managed to find ones I thought were cool though off the beaten path: graveyards, haunted houses, clowns.  As I was gathering material for this week's show, it occurred to me that I was using up a potential Halloween theme: there were many songs with the names of classic horror films, like "Attack Of The Giant Ants" or "Shark Attack."

This has happened before.  Once, I did a show about Cupid - in July.  It would've been a great Valentine's Day show.  & once I did a show about snakes, which would've been a great Halloween show.  Well, I wasn't going to let this happen again.  I took the songs that would've fit the Halloween theme out of consideration for today's show.  They'll be part of a future Halloween show.

Will it be this year's Halloween show?  Nope!  While I was fretting about wasting a theme, I came up with another one, a good one.  You'll find out what it is in October.  I wish my mind didn't work like that but damn, it does.

Meanwhile, today's show about "attack" (whatever that means) is on from 4-6 pm on 88.1 fm in Lexington & online at WRFL web site.  Spoiler alert: lots of songs about heart attacks.  That could've been an entire other theme!

No comments: