Monday, August 28, 2017

Harvey

(Image from here.)

Houston is on my mind tonight.  I haven't been there in years but of course anytime a city with millions goes through the trauma it's experiencing now, you can't help but feel empathy with your fellow citizens, in my case on a national & state level.  My friends who live there are thankfully safe but many aren't, & I am weighing my options in seeing how I can help.

Texas Monthly has a great article listing how one can help in the state.  NPR does too.  Here in Fort Worth, relief efforts are underway, & that's where I am starting.  Things will get worse before they get better.  I hope the people & the city are resilient enough to handle the devastation.

The wife bemoaned the fact that both the state & the nation are filled with people who don't believe government can help in situations like this, although I read the head of FEMA saying they had "learned" from Katrina.  Let's hope so.  Meanwhile.  I think I am going to volunteer here in town.  It's almost the least I can do.

No comments: