Friday, January 18, 2019

Self Help Radio 011819: 1983

(I found most if not all of the images here from Discogs.)

Well, that wasn't easy.  I was able to choose 27 songs to be my favorites of 1983 but I left out so much more.  My brain imagines there would be an endless radio show if I simply played music I loved starting the year of my birth - I could do probably ten hours on 1968 alone - & then moving up.  I'd get to 1983 a couple or three years into the show, & then I'd spend a few shows on that year.

& you can already see up there things I've missed.  No "Blue Monday"?  Nothing from the Eurythmics?  Surely I love the song "Modern Love" by Bowie!  & didn't you think the Police were the absolute shit in 1983?  Why aren't they up there?  It was not an easy show to put together.  In fact, I regret some of my choices already.  No I don't!  Yes I do.

One thing to note: I do the show in a kind of annoying way.  I talk in-between each song.  I thought it might give me time to play more music but I haven't a clue if that's the case.  Maybe it is.  It's probably really aggravating though.  My apologies.

Show is at: selfhelpradio.net
Length is like: 123 minutes
Username is: SHR
Password is: selfhelp
Songs I played are: below

Hope you dig it.  I loved that year in music.  But the 80s did get better.

Self Help Radio 1983 Show

"Swordfishtrombone" Tom Waits _Swordfishtrombones_
"Kiss Off" Violent Femmes _Violent Femmes_
"Monkeyland" The Chameleons _Script Of The Bridge_
"Age Of Consent" New Order _Power, Corruption, & Lies_
"Slippery People" Talking Heads _Speaking In Tongues_
"Smile" The Fall _Perverted By Language_
"The Cutter" Echo & The Bunnymen _Porcupine_
"A New England" Billy Bragg _Life's A Riot With Spy Vs Spy_
"Cattle & Cane" The Go-Betweens _Before Hollywood_
"Oblivious" Aztec Camera _High Land, Hard Rain_
"Fields Of Fire" Big Country _The Crossing_
"Crazy" Pylon _Chomp_
"That Summer Feeling" Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers _Jonathan Sings!_
"The Greatest Thing" Elvis Costello & The Attractions _Punch The Clock_
"Jokerman" Bob Dylan _Infidels_
"Cleartrails" Shriekback _Care_
"Victorian Society" Cleaners From Venus _In The Golden Autumn_
"The Lovecats" The Cure _The Lovecats_
"Temple Of Love" The Sisters Of Mercy _Temple Of Love_
"This Charming Man" The Smiths _This Charming Man_
"Song To The Siren" This Mortal Coil _Song To The Siren_
"White Lines (Don't Do It)" Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel _White Lines (Don't Do It)_
"Tour De France" Kraftwerk _Tour De France_
"Never Never" The Assembly _Never Never_
"Museum Of Love" Daniel Johnston _Yip/Jump Music_
"Lucky Me, Lucky You" Sparks _In Outer Space_
"Deep Blue Day" Brian Eno _Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks_

No comments: