Friday, April 03, 2020

Looking For "Wish" In A Search Engine

Things I didn't know about, part seven million: wish.com

No, I didn't click on that.  I read just enough in the search engine report to know it's not for me.  To wit: "Wish is an online e-commerce platform that facilitates transactions between sellers & buyers."  That seems so unusual.  I wonder why no one thought of that before?  Or isn't that what basically all "online e-commerce platforms" do?

The tagline for the site - according to the search engine - is "Shopping Made Fun."  I guess I don't find shopping all that fun myself, but the idea of buying stuff online isn't to make it more fun but to make it less tiresome.  For example, as much as I like browsing in a bookstore, I will buy books online not out of some notion of fun, but because I know what I want & I can get it easier than wandering through a store trying to find it.

Like, I just bought some books at Powell's Books online, for example.  I did that because I know what books I wanted, plus they're local & I don't have to support Amazon, which has done grievous harm - often mortal harm - to small businesses everywhere.  Anyway.

The website goes on: "Join over 500 million others that have made their shopping more smart, fun, & rewarding."  "Rewarding"?  Do you get cash back for using the web site?  I suspect that's not true.

Something amusing is that this link comes up quickly when you do a search for "wish."  If you don't want to click it, & you don't, the article is entitled, "WISH.com – SCAM – Why you should NEVER shop on WISH reviews"

What does "shop on WISH reviews" mean?  I dunno, I just read the first paragraph & it didn't make much sense to me.  Still, I appreciate the idea of contrary view.

& let's not even start with the idea of a "wish" & how it relates to shopping.  If you "wish" for something, do you need to pay for it?  Of course not.

No comments: