Sunday, March 29, 2020

Two (Prerecorded) Shows, One Day

One of the things I like about KBOO is that they archive all their shows.  One of the things that's uncomfortable about that is, in this time of prerecorded programming, sometimes they are presenting shows in timeslots that aren't adhering to the regular shows' formats.  For example, I had two shows on KBOO today, & the timeslots which they filled - I need to stress I did not choose the times they would air - were during programs called "The Persian Show" & a time split between shows called "Armando Puentes" & "La Voz Del Sabor."  Needless to say, I did not play Persian or Spanish language music.  Instead, I prerecorded the sort of silliness that would make any other broadcaster deeply embarrassed.

My very silly show about breakfast can be listened to here.  The other program I'll need to upload to my website as it was split between programs.

In all my reading about the trials & tribulations of our plague time, I haven't really seen anything about radio stations.  & frankly that's because most commercial stations are already mostly automation.  Their programming is prepared somewhere & distributed to stations across the country.  This is emphatically not true about noncommercial radio.

Except for some nice Twitter feedback from folks not in the area, I have no idea what reaction there was to me appearing on KBOO on a Sunday during programs that I was not subbing.  I wish I could do a Persian show or Spanish-language programming.  I cannot.  I am flattered my homemade shows aired.  I wish everyone had the time & capabilities to do that for their own shows.

But I don't want the whole concept of "going to a radio station & doing your own show" to end!  Commercial radio has killed that & no one seems to care.  But those of us who value our tiny space at the left of the dial - we cherish it.  What I'm doing I hope will keep some of that space available for whatever the fuck comes after.

These are fucked-up times we're living in.  I only wish I could do more.

No comments: