Thursday, April 02, 2020

Self-Isolation Free Association

Are you kind of afraid to look at the numbers?  The numbers are a little frightening, aren't they?  Friends keep telling me they know people who think it's all a hoax.  I am glad I don't talk to people who think it's all a hoax.  Like parents who don't vaccinate their children, those people are going to get someone killed.  It's a good thing a politician that many people admire didn't say the whole thing was a hoax...  oh wait.

The neighbors holler at each other across the street, & the weary parents sit outside with their kids, who probably aren't aware of what's going on.  The wife & I walk our three dogs, one of whom, our beloved Winston, is nearly thirteen & who has very weak back legs, so at different times we can be a block apart.  This sometimes requires yelling.  So perhaps the self-isolated & even the quarantined wonder about this odd pair & their pups stumbling through the rain possibly arguing, maybe just raising their voices to be heard.

There are only a couple of busy streets we cross, & even those aren't all that busy.  The last time I was in a car was a few days ago, to get some take-out.  We want to support local business, but we also have food that might go bad if we don't eat it.  We haven't been to a store in a week, I guess we're due.  We're both a little nervous about that.  We honestly don't know what to think most of the time.

You can't play on the playgrounds now, signs have been put up, & purple caution tape which says "temporarily closed" has been wrapped around the swings & monkey bars.  Sometimes parents are walking with kids, elementary school kids, most of whom are chatty.  We passed a kid the other day who was telling his mother a story that might have been about ghosts.  He said, quite clearly, "It scared me!  I was white as a sheep!"  I thought, that works too.  & my mind fell into one of holes where nonsense is stored, this one a place where I keep words I didn't understand or phrases that confused me as a kid.

There are radio shows to do, I am working on three at the moment, I finished a reggae mix last night, one half of which aired today, although I didn't listen.  I wonder if this week's Self Help Radio can go into Freeform's general mix.  I dunno.  I suppose I'll ask.

As a result of my constant presence - & I confess I'm up late most nights - my cats imagine that any movement toward where their food is kept is another dinner time.  Sometimes that's true - sometimes they don't finish their meals so I worry they're hungry - but this is like eight, nine times a day.  I suspect they know what they're doing.  So far, though, I can't prove a thing.

No comments: