Saturday, August 29, 2020

Preface To Indiepop A To Z # 63: This Ripped Out Diary Page

It's very late where we all are.  I crossed over the Columbia River today*, & walked a bit along its northern shore with my dogs.  People swam & almost no one had a mask on, although I did.  My dogs did not.

Did I resist an urge to swim?  I did!  Did I resist an urge to commandeer a boat from the nearby marina & sail away?  I did!  Did I resist an urge to take pictures of families playing in the water because I felt like that would be creepy?  I did!

It was a nice walk nonetheless**.

On the other side of the river, in dear old Portland, we stopped to find donuts & people were out on the street, all of them or almost all of them wearing masks.  It was dark by then & my eyes don't work so well in the dark***.  The donuts, bought in a grocery store, were baked, but were fine.

Maybe I've not mentioned it here before but I love long dog walks in unfamiliar parts of town.  Not so much nature walks, although those are nice too.  I should probably be more methodical but I want to say after many years that I've walked in all the neighborhoods in Portland.  My wife refers to the walks as "palate cleansers," although she might be referencing something I said before.  It certainly sounds like something I'd say****.  I'm thinking we should do these walks more than once a week, if we can find the time.  Like I said, I love them.

Oh, the dogs love them, too.  It makes them happy*****.

* I was on a bridge in a car.  Nothing fancy.
** I took a few non-creepy pictures.
*** I forgot to turn the headlights on as we exited the grocery store, someone drove by & said "Lights, lights, lights!"
**** & not like something she'd day.
***** They get very excited & move faster & with more purpose than on our regular walks.  That's why I think it makes them happy.  They of course don't ever tell me how they're feeling.

No comments: