Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Self Help Radio 011921: 1985

(All images from Discogs.)

Here it is.  The seventeenth (!) installment of the show I do on my birthday week.  Lots of music from 1985 that I love dearly.  Whenever I do one of these shows, I think to myself, "I bet I could do a radio show for an entire year just focused on one particular year, & it wouldn't exhaust the great stuff released then."  This becomes more apparent as I get to the years when I was actively looking for & acquiring new music - something I've been doing since 1985, basically.  Which is why I am going to continue with 1985 in six months.  There is so much more to share!

Much thanks to our resident cinephile Chuck who took the time to share with us his favorite eight films from 1985.  His commentary is spread throughout the show.  The rest is me talking & lots of music.

Listen now at the Self Help Radio website.  Remember you'll need a username & a password, which are SHR & selfhelpradio.  What I played is below.  Feel free to share your favorites of the year!

Self Help Radio 1985 Show
"When The Going Is Smooth & Good" William Onyeabor _Anything You Sow_
"The World Turned Upside Down" Billy Bragg _Between The Wars_
"The People's Limousine" The Coward Brothers _The People's Limousine_

"I Want The One I Can't Have" The Smiths _Meat Is Murder_
"Go Out & Get 'Em, Boy!" The Wedding Present _Go Out & Get 'Em Boy!_
"Well Well Well" The Woodentops _Well Well Well_
"Hounds Of Love" Kate Bush _Hounds Of Love_
"Primitive Painters" Felt _Ignite The Seven Cannons & Set Sail For The Sun_

"Spoilt Victorian Child" The Fall _This Nation's Saving Grace_
"Edie" The Adult Net _Edie_
"Throne Of Agony" Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel _Nail_
"My Wife & My Dead Wife (Live)" Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians _Gotta Let This Hen Out!_
"The UFO Man" Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers _Rockin' & Romance_

"In Between Days" The Cure _The Head On The Door_
"Bring On The Dancing Horses" Echo & The Bunnymen _Songs To Learn & Sing_
"Never Surrender" Chin-Chin _Sound Of The Westway_
"Dirty Old Town" The Pogues _Rum Sodomy & The Lash_
"Downtown Train" Tom Waits _Rain Dogs_

"Malaria" Shriekback _Oil & Gold_
"Singing Rule Britannia (While The Walls Close In)" The Chameleons _What Does Anything Mean? Basically_
"Melonella" Cocteau Twins _Echoes In A Shallow Bay_
"Death Valley '69" Sonic Youth _Bad Moon Rising_
"Books About UFOs" Hüsker Dü _New Day Rising_

"Fish (Doghouse Version)" Throwing Muses _In A Doghouse_
"Why I Love Country Music" Lloyd Cole & The Commotions _Easy Pieces_
"All Fall Down" Primal Scream _All Fall Down_
"I'm Alright With You" The Pastels _I'm Alright With You_
"Haunted When The Minutes Drag" Love & Rockets _Seventh Dream Of Teenage Heaven_

"The Hardest Walk" The Jesus & Mary Chain _Psychocandy_
"Hollow Eyes" Red Lorry Yellow Lorry _Talk About The Weather_
"Avatar" Dead Can Dance _Spleen & Ideal_
"Life In A Northern Town" The Dream Academy _The Dream Academy_
"Stay Up Late" Talking Heads _Little Creatures_

"The Bottom Line" Big Audio Dynamite _This Is Big Audio Dynamite_
"The Whole Of The Moon" The Waterboys _This Is The Sea_

No comments: