Monday, March 22, 2021

Whither Tourism?

(image from here)

That delightful image above - I'm sorry there's not a bigger version! - is from an article called "Tourism Is Four Times Worse For The Planet That Previously Believed."  The article is from 2018, so I'm almost certain it does not mean this week's episode of Self Help Radio.

As I mentioned on the blog yesterday, I either never knew or kind of forgot that tourism is considered something negative.  Not that it would have stopped me from doing a show about the subject.  In the early days of my show, there was a caller in Austin who seemed irked my themes weren't more happy.  I think in the summer of 2004 I actually did a show with the theme "happy" but it didn't please her.  She called later & said, "I couldn't shake the feeling you were doing the theme ironically."

Not so tourism!  We're going all in!  It'll happen tonight on 90.7 KBOO - & online at kboo.fm - from midnight to 3am.  I think I have five guests on the show with four interviews!  It's jam packed.  Like one of those tour buses when they've overbooked.  Oh.  I am beginning to see how tourism gets its bad reputation.

No comments: