Monday, June 21, 2021

Whither Mania?

(That's a cool image.  It's from here.)

The word "mania" can mean two different things.  I know, you're like, whoa Gary a word in English having more than one meaning what the fuck?  Hey!  I don't need your snark right now, okay?  I got shit to do today.

Anyway, the two meanings of mania - one an actual mental condition, an affliction which can encompass euphoria, delusion, obsessiveness, & hyperactivity - the other a synonym for a fad or a craze or just a lot of enthusiasm - these two meanings are sort of hard to integrate into a show.  A song about manic disorder followed by a song about Beatlemania can perhaps seem clumsy at best & insulting at worst.

Not to mention the "manias" like pyromania, megalomania, even egomania that are sometimes the subjects of songs.  Gathering materials for this week's show I felt like I had to walk a tightrope of sorts - I didn't want to be disrespectful to people who have to deal with what their brain does to them but I also had lots of songs about maniacs.  What to do, what to do.

Find out tonight from midnight to 3am on 90.7fm KBOO here in Portland, online everywhere at kboo.fm.  Lots of songs, some guests, even a "live" "musical" "performance."  It might even be informative & fun!

Hope you come along.

No comments: