Monday, June 14, 2021

Whither Subways Revisited?

(Image from here.)

In August of 2012, at a station over two thousand miles away, on a Monday morning I believe, Self Help Radio aired a show about subways.  In the show's nearly nineteen years of existence, it hasn't repeated a theme more than perhaps a couple dozen times, & usually it's on the show's anniversary, or because I've forgotten I've covered that theme before.  (One of the reasons I made this list of themes is because I would otherwise revisit themes accidentally more often.)  So why go back to a theme I covered nine years ago?  It's because an opportunity presented itself.

The nice & smart folks who do the show before mine asked if we could collaborate.  Their show precedes mine once a month.  Tonight, that show will feature an hour of the music of broadway composers Robert Lopez & Kristen Anderson-Lopez, one piece of which is from an acapella show about riding the New York subway.  It seemed a good idea to dust off the previous SHR episode, update it with more songs (I'd need twice as many, since the original subway show was only ninety minutes long!), & those folks on the show.  So they'll be on tonight as well!

It's bound to be as much fun as riding the subway.  & I love to ride the subway!

That's tonight from midnight to 3am on 90.7fm KBOO Portland.  Online at kboo.fm.  If you don't have the proper fare, just jump the turnstile.  No one at Self Help Radio is paying attention - we're bad at our jobs!

1 comment:

Codobad said...

This is the first time I've listened to your show. It's so great to discover a program all about subways! I used to live in Boston, and have also ridden in NYC and Chicago - both below and above ground in Boston and Chicago. (MBTA's Green Line trolley ran within a few feet of my bedroom window in Brighton my last year in Mass., and I rode it daily.)

I don't think your presenters pro or con construction of a Portland subway were the best choices for either side of the issue. But it's about time this controversial issue is being discussed. I appreciate that you can dig the dirt.

Also, I like your Subway theme of the week, "Self Help". How cool! I can't wait to hear what the theme for your Subway show will be the next time I think to listen. And, oh, I should tell you some time about when I was mugged at gunpoint in Symphony Station. (I mistakenly thought it was a toy gun.)