Friday, July 23, 2021

Back In 1921

(image from here)

There's something I don't talk much about on this blog, which is the other radio show I do, which is The Dickenbock Report, which airs on Thursdays from 8-10am on Freeform Portland.  The main reason I don't talk about it is because this blog is supposed to be about Self Help Radio, but I'm too lazy to start another blog for The Dickenbock Report & too cheap to spring for another web page for it.  So I talk about the show on the SHR Twitter feed as well as on the SHR Facebook page, but don't really want to repost anything about the show here, since I only write on the blog once a day five days a week.

But the last couple of shows I've done I quite liked, so I thought I'd take the time today to talk about one of them, which aired a week ago.  I thought I would play a couple of hours of music from one hundred years ago.  It was an interesting time - there wasn't really any folk or country to speak of, & the idea of one person with a guitar singing the blues hadn't yet been committed to record.  There was jazz, & the rise of the woman blues singer, & of course plenty of what we'd now call "pop" music.  It was fun to gather & put together, so I thought I'd share.

The show is on the Self Help Radio website, which you can go to directly at this very link.  Since it's on the website, you'll need a username - SHR - & a password - selfhelp - to access the file.  The songs I played are below.  I hope you dig.  It was, I'll say again, just a joy to put together.

The Dickenbock Report 071521: Back In 1921
"Margie" Original Dixieland Jazz Band _The Complete Original Dixieland Jazz Band_

"Say It With Music" Paul Whiteman & His Orchestra _Greatest Hits_
"Brown Skin (Who You For)" Daisy Martin & Clarence Williams _Clarence Williams 1921-1924_
"That's My Cup Blues" Katie Crippen with Henderson's Novelty Orchestra _Fletcher Henderson & The Blues Singers Volume 1 (1921-1923)_
"Laughing Rag" Sam Moore _Classic Ragtime: Roots & Offshoots_
"She Gave Them All The Ha Ha Ha" Eddie Cantor _The Early Days (1917-1921)_
"All By Myself" Ted Lewis Jazz Band _Is Everybody Happy?_

"Wabash Blues" Isham Jones & His Orchestra _Anthology: The Deluxe Collection_
"He's A Darn Good Man (To Have Hanging 'Round)" Alberta Hunter _Complete Recorded Works In Chronological Order Volume 1 (1921-1923)_
"Oh How I Hate That Fellow Nathan" Fanny Brice _Stars Of The Ziegfeld Follies, Vol. 1 (Recorded 1916-1925)_
"Saxophone Blues" Brown & Terry Jazzola Boys _Ragtime To Jazz 2 (1921-1922)_
"Eve Cost Adam Just One Bone" Bert Williams _His Final Releases, 1919-1922_
"Aunt Hagar's Children's Blues" Ladd's Black Aces _The Complete Ladd's Black Aces 1921-1924_

"Die Walküre, Act 1: Der Männer Sippe Saß Hier Im Saal" Lotte Lehmann _In Opera (Vol 1 1916-1921)_
"Don't Tell Your Monkey Man" Tim Brymn & His Black Devil Orchestra _Early Jazz 1917-1923_
"How Many Times?" Lavinia Turner _Lavinia Turner 1921-1922_
"I'll Be Good But I'll Be Lonesome" Southern Negro Quartette _The Earliest Negro Vocal Groups Vol. 3_
"Wait Until You See My Madeline" Frank Crumit _Frank Crumit Returns_
"Love Will Find A Way" Inez Richardson _Vocal Blues & Jazz 1921-1930_

"Ain't We Got Fun" Van & Schenck _Wonderful Nonsense: Fun Songs Of The Roaring Twenties_
"Dangerous Blues" Mamie Smith & Her Jazz Band _Complete Recorded Works In Chronological Order Volume 1 (14 February 1920 To 18 August 1921)_
"Arkansas Blues" Lucille Hegamin with Her Blue Flame Syncopators _The Rise & Fall Of Paramount Records 1917-1927, Volume 1_
"Preacher Man Blues" Norfolk Jazz Quartet _Complete Recorded Works In Chronological Order Volume 1: 1921-1923_
"Oh Daddy" Ethel Waters with Cordy Williams' Jazz Masters _1921-1923_
"April Showers" Al Jolson _Early Al Jolson, Vol. 1_

"Nervous Blues" Edith Wilson & Johnny Dunn's Original Jazz Hounds _Rules & Regulations_
"Home Again Blues" Aileen Stanley _1920s Blues & Jazz Vocals_
"Sweet Adelyne" Four Harmony Kings _Four Harmony Kings (1921-1924)_
"There Ain't No Nothin' (Gonna Take The Place Of You)" Black Swan Dance Orchestra _Fletcher Henderson 1921-1923_
"The Harlem Strut" James P. Johnson _1921-1928_
"I Ain't Got Nobody" Marion Harris _Columbia 1 (1920s Jazz Vocals)_

"Corale" Luigi & Antonio Russolo _Awakening Of A City_
"Baltimore Buzz" Eubie Blake & His "Shuffle Along" Orchestra _Ragtime, Vol. 2_
"When My Baby Smiles At Me" Art Hickman's New York London Five _The Best Of Art Hickman: Original Recordings_
"Tropical Blues" Joseph Samuels' Jazz Band _Jabberwocky_
"Bad Land Blues" Lillyn Brown & Her Jazz-Bo Syncopators _Esther Bigeou (1921-1923)_
"If You Don't Want Me Send Me To My Ma" Mary Stafford & Her Jazz Band _Female Blues Singers Volume 13: R/S (1921-1931)_

No comments: