Sunday, July 18, 2021

Preface To 1985 Continued: There's A Film Called 1985?


(Image from here.)

Yep.  There's a film called "1985."  According to the Wikipedia (link below the image above), "Set in Texas in 1985, the film stars Cory Michael Smith as Adrian Lester, a closeted gay man returning home to Dallas after several years living in New York City to tell his family goodbye, but not disclosing that he is dying of AIDS."  It was made in 2018, it's very well-received, having good scores on Rotten Tomatoes & the IMDb.  But.

My objection is, won't people seeing the title think it's somehow related to George Orwell's 1984?  I sure did.  I mean, I didn't think it was trying to be a sequel, but I did imagine that it might have some sort of thematic relation.  That feels a bit like a bait & switch.

Like maybe if it were called Nineteen Eighty-Five it wouldn't feel weird to me.  Or perhaps The Year 1985.

Anyway, I haven't seen it, though I guess I'd watch it if the situation presented itself.  I might be a little peevish in the first few minutes, but ultimately I'd be engrossed.  It's one of the images that popped up with the goggled "1985" on the Googla.  That's literally the only reason I know I exists!

No comments: