Saturday, July 03, 2021

Portal


This picture is called "Portal."  It was taken in Lexington, Kentucky, on this day in 2016, five years ago.  I called it "Portal" because I've always wanted to believe mirrors were like doorways to a different universe.  It's a strange thing to want to believe, since if you see yourself in a mirror, you're doing the exact same thing but backwards.  So it's not like anything different is happening there.  But you read a comic or a sci-fi book & it suggests that & your mind is electrified.

& then there's this, from (I believe) Breakfast Of Champions:

Trout did another thing which some people might have considered eccentric: he called mirrors leaks. It amused him to pretend that mirrors were holes between two universes.

If he saw a child near a mirror, he might wag his finger at a child warningly, & say with great solemnity, "Don't get too near that leak. You wouldn't want to wind up in the other universe, would you?"

Sometimes somebody would say in his presence, "Excuse me, I have to take a leak." This was a way of saying that the speaker intended to drain liquid wastes from his body through a valve in his lower abdomen.

And trout would reply waggishly, "Where I come from, that means you're about to steal a mirror."

And so on.

That's a Kurt Vonnegut quote.  Maybe I should've called this image "Leak."

No comments: