Monday, June 28, 2021

Whither It's Cool (aka The Cool Show)

(I found this image on the Willamette Week website.)

It's probably pretty obvious that I wanted to do a "cool" show at some point during the summer.  It's one of my rare attempts to be somewhat topical.  Usually I am topical by accident.  But I remembered it got warm in July so I thought the theme "It's Cool" might be fun - especially if it were still a bit chilly, as it was in early June.

Ha ha ha no.  It turns out the week I planned for the show was a nightmare hellscape here in Portland.  The last three days have been the hottest days on record in this town.  It is currently 110 degrees Fahrenheit.  When I was out & about earlier - who knows why - I saw bank signs reading as high as 116 degrees.  It has been very, very hot.  So it's strangely appropriate Self Help Radio would try to be cool this week.

Of course there are other meanings of cool & we'll cover those, too.  I have three hours to fill.  & though I'll be doing the show in the comfort of my air-conditioned home, I know that others are truly suffering.  They had to shut down the rail service in town because of the extreme heat!

Anyway.  Self Help Radio tries to be cool & help you cool down tonight on 90.7 fm KBOO & kboo.fm from midnight to 3am.  It won't really help, but I can pretend, can't I?

No comments: