Friday, July 30, 2021

The Campaign For A National Day Of Funk

(Image from here.)

Once again I take to the blog of a Friday to talk not about Self Help Radio, but about the other show I do, which is called The Dickenbock Report, & which airs Thursday mornings from 8 to 10am on Freeform Portland.

Freeform is a low-power fm station so it doesn't quite have the reach KBOO does, so I'm not being sad sacky when I say that probably fewer people hear the show than Self Help Radio.  The show I did a week ago, on July 22, I can safely say that no one heard.  The station was off the air!

Since the show was dependent on the date for its subject matter, I can't replay it - it was celebrating the 80th birthday of a starchild named George Clinton, pictured above.  I played a great deal of funk, including music made by the man himself, & I campaigned for turning his birthday into a national holiday - a National Day Of Funk, if you will.  Alas, my efforts were in vain.  My show didn't even get broadcast into the ether!

Since the show was recorded, however, you can listen if you'd like.  Clicking on this sentence will send you directly to the link.  Since it's on the Self Help Radio website, you'll need a username & a password to listen - those are SHR & selfhelp, respectively.  To sweeten the pot, I'll present the playlist below.

I hope you enjoy!

The Dickenbock Report 072221: The Campaign For A National Day Of Funk On George Clinton's Birthday

"Computer Games" George Clinton _Computer Games_

"Humpty Dump (Parts 1 & 2)" Vibrettes _Eddie Bo's Funky Funky New Orleans_
"Jive Man" Exit 9 _Straight Up_
"Kissing My Love" Cold Blood _Thriller!_
"Foxy Girls In Oakland" Rodger Collins _Bay Area Funk (Funk & Soul Essentials From San Francisco, Oakland & The Bay Area 1967-1976) (Vol. 1)_
"Livin' In, Lovin' Out" Ann Peebles _The Handwriting Is On The Wall_

"Give Up The Funk (Tear The Roof Off The Sucker)" Parliament _Mothership Connection_
"Keep It Comin'" Rufus _Rufus_
"Shack Up (Parts I & II)" Banbara _Blue Break Beats Volume Four_
"If You Don't Give Me What I Want (I Gonna Get It Some Other Place)" Vicki Anderson _Mother Popcorn: The Vicki Anderson Anthology_
"Loose Booty" Sly & The Family Stone _Small Talk_

"Disco To Go" Brides Of Funkenstein _Funk Or Walk_
"Move On Baby" The Allergies _Move On Baby_
"Shoo-B-Doop & Cop Him" Betty Davis _They Say I'm Different_
"Starbooty" Roy Ayers Presents Ubiquity _Starbooty_
"Funky Music Sho' Nuff Turns Me On" Yvonne Fair _The Bitch Is Black_

"Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On" Funkadelic _Standing On The Verge Of Getting It On_
"There's A Break In The Road" Betty Harris _The Lost Queen Of New Orleans Soul_
"Getting Funky Round Here" Black Nasty _Talking To The People_
"You Can't Love Me If You Don't Respect Me" Lyn Collins _Check Me Out If You Don't Know Me By Now_
"World Wide Funk (feat. Doug E. Fresh, Buckethead & Alissia Benveniste)" Bootsy Collins _World Wide Funk_

"Funky Drummer" James Brown _Star Time_
"Save Me" Nina Simone _Nina! (The Nina Simone Collection)_
"Cussin', Cryin' & Carryin' On" Ike & Tina Turner _Cussin', Cryin' & Carryin' On_
"Only A Fool" Loleatta Holloway _Loleatta_

No comments: