Sunday, August 01, 2021

Preface To Kids: Too Many Kids

(This image, which is from here, is what one finds who one searches "too many kids" on the googla.)

Welp, it happened again.  I picked a theme for which there were patently too many options.  Just imagine!  A theme like "kids"!  What was I thinking?

That's something I guess I'll answer tomorrow (?) (probably not), I just want to whine.  I want to whine because I have been doing this for almost twenty years & one of the reasons I do this show is to challenge myself, to discover new music & to play a cool mix of music that's not simply my favorite songs.  It's hard.  Lots of times I'm like "but I could play that song" but I don't want to.  I don't want it to be easy for me.  But then there's a theme where there are literally hundreds of songs that would fit - I'm going to naturally gravitate to the songs I know because I simply don't have time to listen to all of the ones I find.

This weekend - yesterday - I was at a memorial service for a neighbor who died a couple months ago.  The brother-in-law, an affable fellow, was talking about how he was terrified to retire.  Now he says, "It's the best job I ever had!"  & he confided in me, "I don't really know how I ever did anything when I had a job.  I have no time to get anything I want to do done now!"

& that's the weird thing - I don't currently have a job but I used to do Self Help Radio when I was employed full-time.  I promise you, I will be scrambling to have the show done before I leave for KBOO at 11:30pm tomorrow night.  How in the world did I get anything done back then?

Anyway, back to listening to songs.  I already have four hours' worth saved up, but what if I miss something good?  This is why I scramble.

No comments: